Virginia is one of the states to require a mentored apprenticeship, in addition to classroom training, in order to be certified as a court-referred mediator. During this mentorship, mentees co-mediate with NVMS mentors on family cases. Cases need not end in an agreement in order to count as “completed” mediations. Additionally, please keep in mind that if an NVMS Mentor Mediator feels the mentee requires additional training, they have the right to request that the mentee participate in one of the “Additional Trainings” listed below.
Click For Orientation Slides
Mentees are expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Co-mediate a minimum of 5 cases for a total of a minimum of 10 hours in mediation.
- Meet with their mentor for at least 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after each scheduled session unless otherwise arranged with the mentor.
- Complete each case assigned (Participants may only withdraw from a case due to unavoidable circumstances).
- Notify their mentor and the mediation case coordinator in advance if you are unable to come on time for a scheduled session.
- Maintain a portfolio which contains records of all co-mediations as well as copies of all completed mentor evaluations (NVMS does not keep any copies of completed mentor evaluations).
- Keep in touch with their mentor throughout the duration of each case. At the end of a case, please contact your mentor and follow up to ensure receipt of your Mentee Evaluation and Portfolio forms.
$150/case (not session)
Most NVMS cases are mediated at our main office in Fairfax. A small number of cases are scheduled at the George Mason University campus in Arlington.
NVMS makes every effort to move mentees through the program as quickly as possible. However, we cannot guarantee that you will receive your cases within a specified period of time.
Family cases are scheduled to meet on weekdays, evenings, and Saturdays. Cases may meet for several two-hour sessions. You will be contacted by email for your availability to co-mediate a case. Please reply as soon as possible if you are available. If you do not reply within 24 hours of being contacted, the case will be reassigned.
Co-mediations for Private Cases
NVMS can provide mentor mediators to co-mediate private family cases.
Pricing: $75 (includes a list of NVMS mentors willing to participate in private mediation cases. In addition, we require the mentor mediator to be paid 50% of the hourly rate.
Location: To be provided by mentee.
Scheduling: To be coordinated by mentee with mentor.
To register to complete your mentorship with NVMS, please fill in the form below.
Payment and Cancellation
Full payment for the case must be received at the time of your first scheduled session. All receipts are sent via email at the email address provided on the registration form.
Refunds may be processed in the following ways: credit to be used on an NVMS-sponsored observation or co-mediation of equal or lesser value within a year from being awarded or by check. Please allow 7-10 business days for processing.